The Cocoon House / Healy Guest House
Built in 1950 by Twitchell Rudolph Architects.
The guest house located at 3575 Bayou Louise Lane is significant as an architectural expression and for its technological innovation. The structure has contributed to Sarasota's reputation as a place of fluorescence during the Florida Mid-Century Modern period. While it is not of great age, having been constructed in 1948, its eminence as a landmark, if preserved, is unquestioned. The structure's association with two great architectural masters is an integral factor in the structure's significance.
The Cocoon House was selected in 1953 by the New York Museum of Modern Art as one of the 19 examples of houses built since World War II as a pioneer design foreshadowing the future. The structure has been the subject of considerable study, appearing in most of the major architectural periodicals of the time. Today the structure is a regular topic in architecture school curricula.The house was locally designated by the City of Sarasota in 1985.
Return to: Florida Top 100 Building Survey